Happy 10th Birthday – Energy Performance Certificates

2008 to 2018 – Happy 10th Birthday

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW….and there’s a change to legislation too!

What is an EPC? –  It is an Energy Performance Certificate and associated report that sets out the energy efficiency rating of a property and contains recommendations for ways in which the efficiency of the property could be improved. It is now to have a 10th Birthday in 2018.   Virtually all domestic and non-domestic buildings sold, rented out or constructed since 2008 must have an EPC, but in  2018 new ‘minimum energy efficient standards’ (MEES) will take effect.   (An EPC may also be required when a property is altered in particular ways.)

All properties (commercial or domestic) must have an up to date Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before it can be sold or leased. It is against the law to advertise a property without a valid EPC otherwise there are penalties both for the landlord and the seller.

What does the 10th Birthday mean? The first EPC’s are now soon expiring.  An extra check needs to be done to make sure it won’t expire but also landlords need to be mindful about the new standards coming into place both in 2018 and 2020 where there may be a  need to improve the efficiency of the property.

As from the 1st April 2018 the new ‘Minimum Energy Efficient Standards’(MEES) will take effect; there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to normally have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The regulations will come into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty of up to £4,000 will be imposed for breaches.  There are separate regulations effective from 1st April 2016 under which a tenant can apply for consent to carry out energy efficiency improvements in privately rented properties.

Since 1st April 2016 tenants have been able to request consent from their landlords to carry out energy efficiency improvements to privately rented properties. The landlord will not be able to unreasonably refuse consent. It will, however, be the responsibility of the tenants to ensure that the works are funded and the intention is that no upfront costs should fall on the landlord, unless the landlord agrees to contribute. There are separate regulations requiring properties to be brought up to an E rating on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which are effective from the 1st April 2018.  Click HERE for further information

What information does the report give?

The EPC gives you three bits of information including a grade for the efficiency of the property, some suggestions for improving the efficiency and an indication of the grade the property could potentially achieve based on the improvements.

Do I have to have an EPC?

Yes, It is against the law to advertise a property without a valid EPC otherwise there are penalties for the landlord.   Click HERE to find other tips on preparing to let your property

What can you do to improve the rating?

Increase loft insulation – by insulating loft space, the energy efficiency is increased as the insulation reduces the loss of heat.

Replace lighting with energy efficient bulbs – by swapping ordinary bulbs to energy efficient bulbs, the energy efficiency is increased and energy bills can be reduced too.

Changing your boiler – ensure that your boiler is working efficiently by arranging annual servicing. 

Draught proofing – sounds too simple but by minimising the drafts with draft excluder tape or door excluder brushes attached to doors, this again reduces loss of heat and becomes more energy efficient.


Let’s Get Talking Property!

Our team is always happy to give you a call and talk through how we can help.
Fill in this form to get started today.

    Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5.00pm. Saturdays 9am to 12 noon.