Following the announcement last week by the Welsh government that it plans to introduce new regulations to combat carbon monoxide poisoning, here are a few tips to help landlords and tenants ensure that your home is safe.
Here are some simple steps to take:
Buy and install an inexpensive carbon monoxide alarm – you can get them from DIY stores, high street shops and online – just make sure you check for the safety marks;
Like a fire alarm, check it regularly and make sure the batteries are working;
It’s important to have your gas appliances, like your boiler and cooker, serviced regularly;
If you’re renting your landlord must ensure this done for you every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer
Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning – which included headaches, nausea and dizziness and similar to a common cold or the flu; and
If you’re renting your landlord must ensure this done for you every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer; Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, which is why it is so important to have an audible carbon monoxide alarm installed.